Excruciating is defined
as extremely painful; causing intense suffering; unbearably distressing; torturing.
I am excruciatingly lonely. After
many long months, I finally admitted that to myself tonight. I voiced the
thought "I'm lonely and it sucks." And then the flood gates opened
as the words in my brain crashed into the emotions I had just released from my
heart.
It sounds stupid, but before I admitted
that to myself tonight, I was fairly clueless as to how much not having friends
around here was effecting my entire life.
Darren and I have had a lot of trouble
finding couple friends. I'm sure many of you have moved to new
communities and had to find new friends. We are grade A awful at this
process. I think part of it is being so busy ... but who isn't. So
is that a real reason? I feel like we really tried. I know I put
myself out there and consciously forced myself to be open to stretching my
definition of what a friend looks like. Maybe it boils down to having to
find friends outside of the AC structure.
Whatever the reason is. Here I
am. My bones ache, but I am numb. I am exhausted day in and day
out, but I can't ever sleep. (Our house is 85 degrees, that might be part
of that issue this week at least.) I have conversations daily where I am
using every ounce of my concentration to keep up or try to interpret what the
person is saying. I don't do anything with my free time, because I just
don't feel like I have it in me. I was running every morning, but now I
just avoid getting up as long as possible. I love my babies, but I am not
nice to them in the evenings or on weekends. I feel myself having less
and less patience with them. Darren told me I put more of myself into
work than into them, and there is absolutely no way I can say this month at
least that it isn't true. I look at these symptoms and they point to one
thing, one thing that Darren has been telling me for months. I'm dealing
with some depression right now. And I think that based off of my body's
reaction to the 'big reveal' that I'm lonely, that being lonely has a lot to do
with that.
I'm so annoyed. With myself.
With the women in this community that have been mean to me or that I feel
look down on our family (Imagined? Real?). There has been one
neighbor that has been awesome to me, and I really appreciate her, but she is
older than my mother and probably not someone I can go get a Margarita with and
whine about the harrows of balancing a job, kids, and student husband while
dirt poor.
This week Tallie has been going to a
Storybook Adventure Camp in the mornings. A couple of mornings I have
taken her and worked from the park while she was in camp. I've reached
out to two women there with their daughters, and gotten a less than warm
reception. It's probably my perception and fragility. But it really
has killed me this week. I need someone to smile back and say 'hi'! and
be interested enough to ask where I live and what my daughters name is.
Too much to ask? I don't know. Maybe people just aren't nice
to each other? Maybe all of this is normal. But I just don't have
the strength to keep trying to get past hard exteriors to see if there is
someone friendable under that. I need a friend now, and I need that
friend badly. Just one. Just one person I can call and say, 'Hey,
after we get our kiddos down wanna go on a walk and talk about what
embarrassing thing one of our kids did in front of the neighbors today?'
Today was a weird day, and I think it
took the last of my ability to keep up my mask that stuff is fine. I've
had a few really rotten once-in-a-lifetime-hopefully weeks at work where I
ended up on the wrong side of the Good Guy/Bad Guy coin too many times and had
to stand my ground. It's ripped me apart, and revealed my need for a
friend. Before this month I thought that being an introvert meant I could
handle living here for a few years without a friend. But today took my
mask off. I visited a past resident and delivered an air-conditioner to
her. Through generous donors, Gateway is able to have a program that
allows employees to spend some money to help out past residents that are in
deep need. This woman, her husband, and her baby were living in an attic
(well, 1/2 an attic really) without an air conditioner and it's been in the
90's. I had a hard time finding an air conditioner as places had sold
out, and I had to lug this heavy thing up a steep set of wobbly 2X4 plank
stairs in my dress to deliver it. I went over budget and I am totally
conflicted as to whether to still have GW pay for the overage or to eat it.
Darren has been really stressed about our budget and I worry he'll flip
if he realizes I just want to cover the overage. Then, I called a very
dear friend to touch base with her and though she was cheery, she is going through
some very very hard times. I didn't feel like I had anything to give.
I wanted to say something to help. But inside I was quietly
screaming, 'me too.' The whole evening I was off. I wasn't nice to
the girls, which they of course picked up on. Darren (bless him)
took them after dinner and again at bed time despite a migraine because he
sensed I wasn't ok. Tonight after everyone went to sleep I finally
looked my demon in the eye.
I'm lonely. I'm really really
lonely and it is kind of killing my ability to function at work and home.
But, I shall leave you with an upper.
There ARE awesome things happening around here, too. For example,
Kaia is potty training HERSELF. Yes. God is heartily rewarding us
for the hard year or so of work we put into Tallie to get her potty trained.
I'll spare you the totally adorable picture of her sitting naked on her
Dora seat, beaming up at Darren while saying "Poo poo!" and pointing
into the toilet. Last week Kaia asked to use the potty and she has used
it at least once a day since. This kid. smh.
Love you! You can call me. I think we have the same problem. IF only we lived 1 minute apart instead of 1 hour.
ReplyDeleteHang in there Brit, you and your family are very much loved by us and many others and you are NOT alone :-) I know it may feel this way, I've been there too but it is a lie from Satan so don't give in. Call me if you need someone to unload on. I'm a good listener!
ReplyDeleteI sure love you guys too! Every time I see your girls I miss you terribly. I'll be praying for you ... God will use this because He doesn't waste a thing. So are we doing that 5k??
ReplyDelete